Friday 30 April 2010

Retro Eastern Blooms

On my crazy card making marathon last Friday, I also managed to make a card that was a little different to my usual style, or at least was a little hiatus from my standard colour schemes.

It came out having a sort of retro-theme, even though I wouldn't have thought that 'Eastern Blooms' would quite lend itself to that kinda mood. I thought it would be a fun card. It feels that way for me, but maybe it's just the colour scheme, no muted tones here!

I've used SU Basic Black CS with a crimped Whisper White panel with Old Olive grosgrain ribbon. I stamped various versions of the Eastern Blooms stamps onto Whisper White using Pumpkin Pie and Old Olive and then simply cut around them using my SU paper snips.

I used my Fiskars two-in-one corner rounder punch for the bottom corners. Unfortunately it won't do both the front and back together as the CS is too thick, but because it has a paper guide on it, it was pretty simple even for me to keep them even!

Not that you can necessarily tell from the picture, but the large Pumkin Pie flower has been propped up on dimensionals for some extra interest. One of the extra flowers was used on the envelope flap to keep the theme going.


To be honest I think I'm happier with the inside of the card:



I had gotten a little trigger happy with the stamping and cutting out of the flowers (I had stamped most of an A5 sheet with the idea that I could have them ready for when I have less time). However after cutting out a few for the front of the card, I found that I must have slipped into 'the zone' as low and behold, there were a pile of cut out flowers in front of me!

So instead of saving them all as originally intended, I used quite a few of them up for the inside!

I on purpose didn't stamp a greeting so hopefully I can use it for whatever occassion it will suit sometime later down the track.

Given the current 70s-80's revival maybe this will be popular with my [hard to please] teenage cousins?

Happy weekend everyone, hope we all get a little time for crafting! As for me, I'm going to kick back with a warm cuppa and raid the tin of yummy yo-yo's to make the most of the Art With Heart Blog Hop!

3 comments:

  1. Those colours are so striking against the black background. It's a funky card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your retro inspired card. Looks just the thing for those teenage cousins. Great colours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Anne-Marie! I LOVE your choice of colours.

    ReplyDelete